Don’t let the flu keep you down. Learn tips to keep you and your family healthy.
Every year about 12,000 Canadians will be hospitalized because of flu related issues and the flu will be responsible for approximately 3,500 deaths. The key to staying healthy is prevention.
Follow these tips to keep yourself protected from the flu:
1. Get vaccinated. Getting your annual flu shot is one of the most effective ways to prevent the flu. Recent studied show the vaccine reduces the risk of flu illness by about 40% to 60% among the overall population during the seasons when most circulating flu viruses are like the vaccine viruses. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization recommends that all Canadians 6 months of age and older should get the influenza vaccine unless there is a reason they can’t get the vaccine.
2. Wash your hands. Did you know viruses can live on your hands for up to 3 hours and on hand surfaces (counters, telephones etc) for up to 8 hours? Properly washing your hands often and thoroughly helps prevent the spread of illness.
3. Use alcohol based hand sanitizer. When soap and water is not available and if your hands are not visibly dirty, hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol is a good alternative.
4. Avoid touching your face or rubbing your eyes. The flu virus enters the body when we touch surfaces with the virus and then touch our eyes, nose and/or mouth.
5. Stick to a healthy lifestyle. Even with exposure to the flu virus, it does not mean you have to get sick. Keeps your immune system working at its best with balanced diet, regular exercise (at least 4 times a week) and enough sleep(7 to 9 hours/night).
If you are ready to book your flu shot, call us or email us to book your appointment today! One of our specially trained Pharmacists will be happy to help you!