Compounding is the combination of art and science with current medical knowledge and state-of-the-art technology, allowing highly specialized professionals to prepare uniquely customized medications to meet the specific needs of each patient. Compounding is how the profession of pharmacy began and was the only way of providing prescription medications before pharmaceutical companies began mass production.
As healthcare professionals and patients realize that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available do not meet the needs of many patients, the demand for professional compounding has increased. It is also becoming evident that many patients often have a better response to a customized dosage form than what is commercially manufactured for the general population.
PACE PHARMACY’S COMPOUNDING PROFESSIONALS REGULARLY PREPARE:
- Specific dosage forms with the most appropriate dose of medication for each individual.
- Dosage forms that are not commercially available, such as suppositories, lollipops, transdermal gels or ointments, suspensions, and lozenges.
- Medications without certain excipients such as lactose, sugar, dyes, or alcohol.
- Combinations of various medications into a single dosage form for easier administration or application, potentially reduced side effects, and improved compliance.
- Medications that are not commercially available.
- Different flavours to help with palatability and compliance