Environmental responsibility means acting in a way that minimizes negative impacts on the environment and promotes sustainable practices. As Canadians, we are all responsible for taking care of our environment and protecting it for future generations. This responsibility extends to every aspect of our lives, including how we manage our healthcare needs.
Canada has the second most climate-intensive health system, estimated at 4.8% of national greenhouse gas emissions. Pharmacy professionals have a duty to support environmental sustainability initiatives in their practices.
One of the most significant ways pharmacies can contribute to sustainability is by reducing their use of single-use plastics. Many pharmacies now offer plastic-free packaging alternatives, such as glass or compostable materials. Additionally, many pharmacies now offer eco-friendly products, such as reusable bags. These products have a lower environmental impact than traditional products and encourage customers to make more sustainable choices in their daily lives.
Sustainable practices in community pharmacy are essential for protecting our planet and promoting a healthier future for all Canadians. By reducing plastic waste and promoting energy efficiency and eco-friendly products, pharmacies are taking necessary steps towards sustainability.
As consumers, we can also do our part by supporting businesses that prioritize sustainability and making more conscious choices in our daily lives. Together, we can create a more sustainable future for generations to come.
At Pace Pharmacy, we are passionate about promoting sustainable healthcare. Here are some of the practices we have implemented to achieve this goal:
- Sustainable Packaging Options: Pace Pharmacy was the first pharmacy in Canada to introduce the Phill Box, a fully recyclable and compostable alternative to plastic prescription vials. They are crafted entirely from sustainably sourced paper, making them a more responsible environmental choice. At the check-out counter, we have discontinued offering plastic bags. Instead, we have paper and reusable cloth tote bags available for purchase at a reasonable price.
- Education: We educate staff and patients about sustainable practices, promoting awareness about the environmental impacts of pharmaceuticals and encouraging responsible medication use and disposal.
- Waste Management: We prioritize environmental sustainability by optimizing inventory management, ensuring proper disposal of hazardous waste, and maximizing recycling opportunities whenever possible.
- Medication Disposal: Pace Pharmacy believes that ensuring the proper disposal of medications is crucial to prevent environmental contamination. We provide a free service for our customers to dispose of unwanted medicines and used sharps through the Health Product Stewardship Associations’ take-back program.
- Energy Efficiency: We have taken steps to enhance our energy efficiency by utilizing an energy-efficient lighting system, optimizing our HVAC systems, and using energy-efficient appliances and equipment.
- Continuous Improvement: At Pace Pharmacy, we regularly assess and evaluate our environmental impact to identify areas for improvement. We Set goals for reducing energy consumption, waste generation, and carbon emissions and encourage staff involvement in suggesting and implementing environmentally friendly initiatives.
Taking steps towards a more sustainable future is not only necessary but also achievable. By making small changes in our daily lives and supporting initiatives that prioritize the well-being of our planet, we can collectively make a significant impact. Let’s work together to create a brighter, greener future for generations to come.
If you want to learn more about any of our services, or if you have a suggestion for an additional service we should offer, please contact us!
Check out the Phill Box!
It’s a sustainable alternative to plastic pill bottles and we can dispense most medications in this, upon request!
Ask us how when you get you next fill/refill. Only at Pace Pharmacy!
Click this video link to YouTube to see how it works.
Or check out the video on our Instagram feed.