What is Compounding?
Compounding is the combination of art and science with current medical knowledge and state-of-the-art technology, allowing highly specialized professionals to prepare uniquely customized medications to meet the specific needs of each patient. Compounding is how the profession of pharmacy began and was the only way of providing prescription medications before pharmaceutical companies began mass production. As healthcare professionals and patients realize that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available do not meet the needs of many patients, the demand for professional compounding has increased. It is also becoming evident that many patients often have a better response to a customized dosage form than what is commercially manufactured for the general population.
Pace Pharmacy’s compounding professionals regularly prepare:
- specific dosage forms with the most appropriate dose of medication for each individual.
- dosage forms that are not commercially available, such as suppositories, lollipops, transdermal gels or ointments, suspensions, and lozenges.
- medications without certain excipients such as lactose, sugar, dyes, or alcohol.
- combinations of various medications into a single dosage form for easier administration or application, potentially reduced side effects, and improved compliance.
- medications that are not commercially available.
- different flavours to help with palatability and compliance
Check out our compounding specialties…
Superior Compounding Maximizes Therapeutic Outcomes
How well a compounded medication works can be directly related to its preparation, which is why the compounding pharmacy you choose is critically important. Regular training for compounding pharmacists and technicians, state-of-the-art facility and equipment, and the highest quality chemicals are essential. Experience and knowledge are very important factors as well. When adjusting a formula or developing a new or unique preparation, Pace Compounding Pharmacists consider chemical and physical properties of the active ingredients and excipients, solubility, tonicity, viscosity, and the most appropriate dosage form and/or device for administering the required medication. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) should be in place, stability studies should be considered when compounding, and appropriate potency and sterility testing should be performed, like Pace Pharmacy does. Of course, the facility should be properly equipped to safely compound your medication in either a dedicated non-sterile or dedicated sterile compounding laboratory.
Pace Pharmacy’s compounding professionals can formulate suitable medications as sublingual drops, oral and nasal sprays, topical creams, lollipops, rectal solutions and suppositories, oral capsules or tablets, and other customized dosage forms. Please contact us to discuss your needs and medication problems.